tjTOMORROW: UNC

Representative Yolanda Coleman presented the features of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill at the College and Career Center on Oct. 22.

Stav Nachum, News Editor

Name: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Freshman Class Size: 4,592

Strong Programs: study abroad program, undergraduate research opportunities, Global Learning Opportunities in Business Education (GLOBE), Journalism and Mass Communication studies and biological and health sciences studies

Representative: Yolanda Coleman 919-966-3994, [email protected]

Located in the city of Chapel Hill, NC, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is one of the nation’s leading universities. With nine separate programs of study that include over one hundred different majors and also over seven hundred possible clubs and activities available on campus for students, the University of North Carolina seems to have something for everyone. With the added opportunities provided in a wide variety of internships and study abroad programs, students’ possibilities seem endless.

During the information session, the representative discussed the possibilities available to students through their ability to major across colleges and have up to a combination of three majors and minors. The nine programs of study include arts, biological and health sciences, business, education, humanities, journalism and mass communication, mathematics, computing and engineering, physical sciences and social sciences. Students even have the possibility to decide their major by the end of sophomore year and change it if they find one that they prefer instead.

In addition to mentioning the academics provided at the University of North Carolina, the representative also discussed the activities, opportunities and social life available on campus. Most students complete at least one if not two or three internships while also taking a chance to study abroad in countless countries several times throughout their studies. Both of these opportunities are available to all students and can be done while also finishing their majors in four years.

The final part of the presentation was dedicated to the application process and the university’s decision process regarding applicants. The representative mentioned that they look at five main areas of the application: the transcript and courses, teacher recommendations, extracurricular activities, supplemental and common application essays and the standardized tests. The representative also stressed that all of the parts of the application are equally important in the decision process.

Overall, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill offers a wide range of opportunities in academics and student life for all students despite the large size of the student body. This university truly provides a perfect blend of academics at an Ivy League caliber and an active social life available throughout the year in countless possibilities. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill seems to be an incredible choice for any student who wants a rigorous academic experience while also having the ability to take part in a wide variety of extracurricular activities and events on campus.