FHS welcomes new officers for next year

Junior Kate Salamido outlines the club’s plans for the meeting on May 6, when the officers for the next year were announced.

Esther Kim, Sports Editor

On May 6, French Honor Society (FHS) announced its officers for the next year, in which six students were named as the club’s co-presidents, secretary, historian and outreach coordinator.

Juniors Alec Jessar and Kate Salamido were elected as the club’s co-presidents, with Jessar being re-elected to the same position. Junior Carolina Hatanpää will also be serving her second term as the club’s treasurer. Junior Rebecca Merriman-Goldring was elected as the secretary, and sophomores Asha Krishnakumar and Sydney Parks were selected as the club’s outreach coordinator and historian, respectively.

“I wanted to run as outreach coordinator because as an extroverted person, I felt that I could promote the French language and make more people be interested in French,” Krishnakumar said.

The voting process occurred from April 30 to May 4, and active members of FHS were eligible to vote for the positions. The members chose their favorite candidates after listening to their speeches on April 30 during the club’s meeting. The candidates showcased their passion for French culture and language during the event.

As one of the eighth period cultural clubs at Jefferson, FHS encourages cultural diversity in the Jefferson community by participating in International Night (I-Nite), promoting French food, tradition and language and engaging in the Francophone culture during meetings.

“I decided to become an officer because I wanted to make our I-Nite performance amazing next year,” Parks said. “I also hope to make club photos more accessible to everyone.”