Jefferson students prepare to take trip to Nicaragua and Costa Rica

photo by Alexis Williams

Senior CheyAnne Rivera went on the trip to Peru last year with Spanish teacher Alexandra Pou, and is going on the Costa Rica and Nicaragua trip this year.

Alexis Williams, Spread Editor

It seems as if horseback riding through the rainforest, exploring waterfalls or visiting volcanoes could be events straight out of a travel book. However, for the eight students going to Costa Rica and Nicaragua with Spanish teacher Alexandra Pou, this fantasy is becoming a reality.

The students attending the trip will be visiting Managua, Granada and San Juan Del Sur in Nicaragua and Rincon de la Vieja and Guanacaste in Costa Rica. While there, they will have the opportunity to explore the cities, visit flea markets, horseback ride, hike volcanos, visit museums and a multitude of other activities in order to immerse themselves in the cultures of these countries.

Senior CheyAnne Rivera, who found out about the trip as a result of previous experience travelling with Pou to Peru last spring break, decided to go so that she could try something new.

“I’m most looking forward to trying new foods and shopping for things you don’t typically see in the U.S.,” Rivera said.

Other students, such as junior Daniel McKinney, are looking to the trip as a vacation. “I’m really looking forward to seeing nature and hiking, and to just hanging out with my friends,” McKinney said.

Junior Florence Glynn is looking forward to the more adventurous excursions. “I’m really excited about seeing a volcano,” Glynn said.

Regardless of what their favorite parts about the trip will be, all of the students are looking forward to immersing themselves in a new culture.

“I’ve never visited either country before. I would like to broaden my cultural experiences,” Rivera said.