Swimmer profile: Seliskar reveals thoughts on being named Swimmer of the Year

Junior Andrew Seliskar is one of TJSD’s top swimmers and has been named Swimmer of the Year (SOY).

Sandy Cho and Yena Seo

One of Jefferson’s superstars on the TJ Swim and Dive (TJSD) team, junior Andrew Seliskar has blown minds with his incredibly fast speed. In fact, he has been recently selected to be on the Boys’ All-Met team this year and is named Swimmer of the Year (SOY) after achieving five area-best times this school year. He was on the First Team All-Met both his freshman and sophomore year.

In the beginning of the school year, Seliskar was selected to be on the 2013-2014 U.S. national team by USA Swimming after his performances at the Phillips 66 National Championships and the FINA World Junior Swimming Championships.

Background:

Seliskar began swimming at age six and has excelled ever since, following the footsteps of his older brother, class of 2012 alumnus Stephen Seliskar, who was also on the TJSD team.

Current activities:

Though the winter season of TJSD is over, Seliskar continues to train with his club team, Nations Capital Swim Club (NCAP).

High school awards and recognitions:

2013-2014 National Club Swimming Association – three gold medals in 200-yard breaststroke, 100-yard butterfly, 400-yard IM, set national age group record
2013 AT&T Winter Nationals – gold in 400-yard IM, silver in 200-yard IM and fly
2013-2014 Virginia 5A State Swimming and Diving Championships
2013-2014 Virginia 5A North
2012-2013 USA Swimming National Junior Team
U.S. Junior Pan-Pacific Team

Q-and-A: On April 4, tjTODAY interviewed Seliskar for being named SOY and his involvement in TJSD.

Q: What were your thoughts when you found out you were named SOY?

A: I was definitely really excited when I found out I was Swimmer of the Year, and was really happy to be selected for All-Met along with Miles, Luke and Carrie who received honorable mentions.

Q: Did you have any indications on being named Swimmer of the Year?

A: I did know beforehand. They contacted me a couple weeks ago about it. I’m really honored to be a part of this.

Q: How long have you been swimming, and how often do you train?

A: I started swimming around age 6 with my older brother every summer. Now I swim for TJSD, and my club team, NCAP. We do eight practices a week, six 3-hour swims and two practices at the gym each week.

Q: Why do you like being a part of TJSD?

A: I love being a part of TJSD because I get to spend time with some of the nicest people in the TJ community. The team has really helped guide me through my three years at TJ, and I can’t imagine coming to school each year without it.

Q: What were some challenges you faced this season and how did you overcome them?

A: The most challenging part of swimming for the high school team at least, is getting up and racing every weekend. I primarily train with my club swim team, and I’m usually very sore and tired from those practices when it comes time to race in TJSD meets. However, I do love swimming with my friends from school and always try to help the team as much as possible.

Q: What do you hope to bring to TJSD next year and what are your goals, for the team and for yourself?

A: We finished second this year at states, but we’re shooting to bring the state title back to Jefferson and win it all next season.