Students prepare for Pi-Miler

Alexis Williams, Spread Editor

The 4th annual Pi-Miler Run/Walk will be held on Saturday, March 15 in honor of “Pi Day,” which is March 14. The event is being hosted by the classes of 2015 and 2016 as a fundraiser, and preparations are well underway despite major setbacks.

Like many events, the construction has caused challenges for those who are setting up Pi-Miler. Only a few weeks before the event, the planners, including junior class president Anant Das, were informed that Pi-Miler could not be held at Jefferson.

“This year organizing Pi-Miler has been very difficult because we’ve just faced so many difficulties in the process,” Das said. “About a week-and-a-half ago construction informed us that we could no longer hold the race at TJ which was a huge crisis and it was a massive struggle trying to find and secure another location in such a small amount of time.”

Other difficulties included a website issue that was not fixed until two months after advertising was supposed to start and finding a date that would maximize attendance.

“We struggled to find a date that was not during the SATs but also was not s late into the spring sports season that there would be a track meet or too many sports practices,” Das said.

Fortunately, the organizers of Pi-Miler started early and Das is optimistic about meeting the goals of the junior and sophomore classes.

“As of now we are just going full blast in advertising trying to get as many runners as possible. We are going to all the local running stores, put up flyers in community neighborhoods, and contacted both alumni and past runners of the event,” Das said.

Das remains optimistic with high expectations for the race despite difficulties.

“Our goal for the race is to have approximately 200 runners attend and celebrate Pi-Day with us, and we are well on our way of achieving our goal,” Das said. “The best part about Pi-Miler is that it doesn’t matter how young or old you are, where you are from, and how experienced you are.”