Students gain hands-on experience during Biology Society heart dissection

Freshmen Margaret Zhao (left) and Sung Joon Park (right) learn how to dissect a sheep’s heart.

Ellen Kan, Managing Editor

On Feb. 28, Biology Society hosted a sheep heart dissection during eighth period, which served as a belated Valentine’s Day celebration after the original session was cancelled due to the Feb. 14 snow day.

Biology Society is known for holding several dissections throughout the year. In November, the club even hosted Dissection Month, which featured guest speakers and weekly dissections. For this session, a guest speaker from SoBran, Inc. was originally supposed to instruct students and assist with the dissection, but he was unavailable on the make-up day.

Biology Society’s senior officers decided to use this opportunity to allow underclassmen officers to gain more experiencing in leading the club’s activities.

“It was great learning experience because the seniors are getting ready to leave,” junior Heather Lukas, Biology Society’s publicist, said. “The juniors were able to learn how to run the dissection, lead the club and teach students more about biology.”

This dissection, along with several of Biology Society’s other activities, was held with the help of the Richard Slivosky Grant, which was granted to the several eighth period clubs last year.

According to senior Kyle Alexander, Biology Society’s co-president, the dissection allowed to club to continue with their mission, which is to help promote the development of student interest in biology. The event was deemed a success, as many students had the chance to learn more about the heart’s anatomy and the dissection procedure.

“I think it was very interesting to directly observe the parts of the heart,” freshman Sung Joon Park, a regular member of Biology Society said.

Biology Society is also looking forward to Techstravaganza, an event that encourages elementary and middle school students to explore interesting aspects of science and technology. This year, Biology Society will host Techstravaganza with Tomorrow’s Women in Science and Technology (TWIST) on April 5.