The Ion app launched

The+Ion+app+is+available+in+the+Apple+App+Store+for+all+students.+

MiJin Cho

The Ion app is available in the Apple App Store for all students.

MiJin Cho, Business Manager

On Sept. 7, the TJ Intranet, a school-wide online tool, became available as a mobile app in the Apple App Store. Specific to the TJ community, Intranet serves as a website for signing up for 8th period clubs and activities, posting announcements pertaining to the students, printing documents, and having access to school files.

Intranet, or ION, has changed in function and name at the start of the past school year, modified from the previous Iodine Intranet. Students who have attended TJ for at least two years have noticed the slight changes in uses in Ion compared with Iodine.

“Ion is a bit faster than Iodine. It doesn’t have the 8th period crash at 12:30. There is much better technology going into Ion and it’s much better,” said Senior Brittany Fogg.

The most recent change in the status of Intranet is the creation of its app. Spencer Atkin, designer and creator of the Ion App, spent a total of eight months in making the product and released it last week.

“I started back in February of last year,… test[ed] it over the summer, and released it at the beginning of this year,” Atkins said. “I… [hope] to add… notifications for certain things, and apple watch support.”

In order to save time logging onto Ion through a browser, students with Apple devices have downloaded the app from the store.

“It’s really handy… because you [would] have to constantly open your phone, go to the browser, and open up Ion and login,” sophomore Aaraj Vij said. “It stays logged in on your phone so you can always see your schedule, sign up for 8th periods whenever you want and see the upcoming events. Overall, it saves a lot of time going on Ion than logging in physically.”

As Ion is used by all students in the community, many find that the concept of creating an Ion app is only one of the upcoming technological innovations at TJ.

“It’s really cool that Intranet’s team [is] going to make ion more accessible to the general public. I think that the Syslab Team, who are in charge, know what they’re doing. It’s just a matter of giving them enough time to let them do what they are doing,” sophomore Eli Kaufman said.