Academic Team competes at NBC, wins state championship

Senior Wills Johnston cheers on the team at the competition.

Jefferson’s Academic Team appeared in NBC’s It’s Academic second round game on March 3. Competing against Chantilly and Richard Montgomery high schools, the team of seniors James Bradbury, Avi Sachs, and Varun Kumar were cheered on by a large crowd of energized fans.

Providing additional support were Wills Johnston as Colonials mascot, Tommy J, sponsor Carolyn Gecan and 8th period activities coordinator Allison Agee.

Bradbury, Sachs, and Kumar kept the bleachers rocking by scoring bonus points, the only team to do so. For the final results, watch the match on April 28 at 11 a.m. on NBC4.

The team came off of a major victory in the VHSL Scholastic Bowl state championship on Feb. 25. Held at the College of William and Mary, 24 teams vied for the top three positions. Jefferson’s team consisted of Bradbury and juniors Hope Flaxman, Raynor Kuang and Sarah Eltinge. Winning every match, Jefferson won its 10th title in Group AAA, defeating Maggie Walker of Richmond.