Spanish Honor Society celebrates new members

Spanish Honor Society (SHS) held an induction ceremony during eighth period on April 10 for the 38 new inductees. The ceremony was simple yet elegant with the students dressed up, and quiet violins playing in the background as parents and students settled in.

Throughout the ceremony, president and senior Kevin Cao gave short speeches in Spanish, while vice president and senior Crystel Calderon translated into English. The officers first gave a short history of the Spanish Honor Society and then took a moment to let the soon-to-be members reflect upon the importance of the society.

The new members then had to recite a song and the society pledge. Afterwards, all members walked up to the front of the auditorium to receive a certificate and flowers from SHS sponsors Ellen Whitten and Nanette Mateo.

Students also lit candles during the ceremony as Calderon explained the significance of the first candle.

“This is our mother candle,” Calderon said. “It serves us each year. It represents inspiration.”