TJ Quiz Bowl motors through next ‘It’s Academic’ round

Seniors Sarah Eltinge and Raynor Kuang, and junior Sidharth Verma stand with Tommy J after the taping.

The NBC studio was electric with energy from ready competitors, the Bullis School jazz band and colorful mascots on April 6. By 3 p.m.,  the day’s final taping of “It’s Academic” got off to an explosive start.

It took several rounds for the strength of TJ Quiz Bowl’s A Team to fully emerge. Once again captained by senior Raynor Kuang and aptly supported by senior Sarah Eltinge and junior Sid Verma, the team pulled away from their competitors from Georgetown Day School and Bullis during the final grab bag round.

Mascot Tommy J helped the team celebrate after the win.

“I knew ‘It’s Academic’ focused on speed so I tried to buzz more recklessly than I usually would,” Kuang said.

The competition will be available for viewing on  Channel 4  at 10 a.m. on June 1. The next round, played against Langley  and Montgomery Blair high schools, will be taped on April 27.

“Both are very good teams.  We’re looking forward to the match and hope to represent TJ well,” Kuang said.