Clubs prepare for science and technology outreach event

Member of Biology Society count materials from previous years.

Tomorrow’s Women in Science and Technology (TWIST) and Biology Society started inventorying the materials needed for Techstravaganza, a science outreach event. The annual event will be held on April 20 at Jefferson.

Techstravaganza gives an opportunity for elementary and middle school students throughout Northern Virginia to conduct hands-on experiments and watch demonstrations. Hundreds of students from Jefferson and other high schools, as well as Jefferson teachers, volunteer their time or their classroom every year to make the event successful. Techstravaganza is also sponsored by companies such as ExxonMobil, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman Corporation.

In order to be fully prepared for the event, TWIST has been testing, improving and creating labs and demonstrations every meeting. TWIST and Biology Society are also collaborating with other clubs in order to engage students even more.

“As Techstravaganza nears, we have been devoting our weekly meetings to improving and preparing for our main outreach event,” said senior Divya Bhaskara, vice president of TWIST.

“In addition to our regular activities, we have been spending a lot of time writing letters to sponsors and planning boothsto make Techstravaganza even more successful.”