TJ Partnership Fund raises $106,000 towards renovation

Junior Sarah Quettawala teaches Principal Evan Glazer some Indian dance moves.

The TJ Partnership Fund raised $106,000 to go towards building renovations by holding a Diwali party on Nov. 9. Nagendra and Vanamala Arkalgud, parents of sophomore Sharan and freshman Varun hosted the fundraiser at their home in Herndon.

Neuroscience Research lab director Mark Hannum, Optics Research lab director John Dell and Oceanography Research lab director Lisa Wu attended, as did Principal Evan Glazer and his wife Jennifer. Several families of Jefferson students also came and pledged donations.

Families who would like to make donations towards the renovation have the opportunity to name a part of the building after a loved one or simply in their family name.

“Twenty-five years ago, a group of parents came together to transform TJ, a base school, into something unique and special, the TJ we know now,”said senior Nipun Singh, who served as a DJ for the party. “That same transformation is occurring now with the renovation. We want to continue to maintain our excellence but lack the funds to support our 13 exceptional tech labs in the new renovation process.”

Seniors Rashi Sahai, Sanjana Verma and Nick Bayya and juniors Sarah Quettawala, Kunal Singh and Tarun Prabhala also performed a dance at the party on behalf of Namaste.

“I would love to DJ for more events like this,” Singh said. “It’s all for a good cause, and I’m glad everyone had a good time, even though their pockets were lighter than when they came in.”