Student choir brings Biblical tale of Joseph to life

Students sing along with sophomore Ben Parsell (right) during the performance.

TJ Choir put on a thrilling performance on Friday and Saturday evening with their production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber and  Tim Rice. The musical, adapted from the Biblical tale of Joseph, showcases songs of various different music genres.

Sophomore Ben Parsell starred as the central character of Joseph and senior Matt Swanhorst played the Pharaoh. Senior Emory Ruscus portrayed Joseph’s father, Jacob, and also assumed the role of Potiphar.

“We definitely pulled it together at the last second, but everyone gave one hundred percent,” Ruscus said. “Everyone was really invested in the show and really cared about it.”

In addition to students from Jefferson, younger students from around the community participated in the “Junior Choir” and had the chance to perform on stage throughout the production. The show was also entirely student-directed, with the assistance of choral director Molly Khatcheressian.

“I thought that it was a wonderful learning process,” Parsell said. “I’m glad Mrs. K was there to help us along the way.”

TJ Choir’s next production will be “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,” to be performed in early December.