Colonials draw closer to playoffs with 26-16 victory

Senior Patrick O’Connor runs the ball during the game against McLean.

Although there was a smaller crowd at the away game against the McLean Highlanders on Oct. 26, the excitement on Jefferson’s side seemed even more electrifying than usual as the Colonials took the lead for the majority of the game.

The Colonials showed striking moves against the Highlanders, finally ending with a win of 26-16 and bringing their record to 5-4. However, it was not the triumph that caused the crowds to go wild. Because of this win, Jefferson is just one  game away from advancing to the playoffs. The outcome of the next game, against South Lakes High School on Nov. 2, will determine whether or not the Colonials will move on.

The game got to an exciting start after senior cornerback Sean Waterton made the first touchdown early in the first quarter. Junior running back Nathan Kim scored two more touchdowns in the second and third quarters, while senior running back Patrick O’Connor scored the final touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Also exhibiting notable feats were juniors Tim Zhong, who ran an impressive distance of 35 yards in the first quarter, and Ben Carniol, who provided the extra point kick for the last two touchdowns in the third and fourth quarters.

Throughout the game, the Colonials also had a strong defense, preventing the Highlanders from making more touchdowns and blocking their plays.

“I’m glad we won,” senior Robby Vasta said. “We needed this win so badly, and it was finally nice to eke it out.”

The coaches were also pleased with the results.

“This is one of the greatest seasons in TJ history,” head coach Kenneth Kincaid said. “It was really great to have all of the starters returning to health and playing together as a full team.”