Stone Bridge topples Colonials 42-7

Jefferson players kneel in respect for injured junior Daven Kim.

Coming from an impressive victory against J.E.B. Stuart High School last week, Jefferson’s football team suffered a lop-sided loss to Stone Bridge High School on Friday.

Facing the undefeated Bulldogs, who are currently ranked number one in the region, the Colonials put up a fight until the very end of the game. The Bulldogs scored two touchdowns with extra points in the first and second quarters, as well as a touchdown in the third quarter and another halfway into the fourth quarter. With 45 seconds left in the game, junior running back Nathan Kim successfully scored a touchdown after a 32-yard pass from senior quarterback Nick Mattes, with junior Ben Carniol scoring the extra point.

Many players on Jefferson’s defensive team stepped up their game, including seniors Brandon Zhang and Ben Hatanpaa, and juniors Daniel Noh and Daven Kim. Senior Jack Brown succeeded in putting pressure on Stone Bridge’s quarterback, which led to the Bulldogs having a turnover on downs and coverage from Jefferson’s secondary.

The most disappointing moment of the night was the injury of Jefferson’s Daven Kim, who suffered a hit from one of the Bulldogs. Players on both teams knelt and fans from both schools sat quietly in a sign of respect for Kim. When Kim was able to stand up and walk to the sidelines, every person in the stadium stood and clapped, despite what team they were rooting for.

Kim suffered a concussion, but is scheduled to make a full recovery.

Jefferson’s record is now 3-2, with two more home games against Madison High School and Marshall High School coming up.

“TJ has already united in support of Daven, from his best friends to strangers. We are all thinking of Daven right now,” junior Will Ashe said. “As for the team, Stone Bridge was one of the best teams we had to face, and I think our team will continue to stay competitive against teams like Madison and Marshall.”