Activities fair showcases 8th period

Seniors Laura Brouckman and TA Nguyen set up the Keyettes booth in Gym 2.Freshmen and froshmores gathered in Gym 2 yesterday for the annual Activity Fair. The Fair was held during B-Block for new students to learn about various clubs and opportunities available through eighth period, which will start on Sept. 21.

During A-Block, students participated in a short assembly led by eighth period coordinator Allison Agee. The assembly was a new addition to the Activities Fair this year. Students were taught how to log onto the Intranet and sign up for eighth period blocks.

“This was previously done in their IBET classes,” Agee said. “And while that was a good venue, I feel like it is important for me to tell them about the program so that they get to know me and feel comfortable coming to my office to talk to me.”

However, the real fun started at the fair. Club officers and members had set up during A-Block and were ready for the new students with colored posters, fliers and candy.

“We want a lot of freshmen to build a strong base because they are the future of our club,” senior Zach Hosseinipour said. Hosseinipour, the president of Jefferson’s Model United Nations, was excited to have new freshmen show interest and hopefully join the club this year.

Freshmen and froshmores marveled at the number of choices they could pursue. Many even signed up to receive e-mails detailing information about the clubs.

“The fair opened my eyes to new clubs I am willing to explore,” froshmore Brandon Kim said.

With the Activities Fair officially kicking off the start of eighth period, students will now be able to sign up and begin trying out new experiences.

“There are a lot more clubs and activities at TJ than at any other school,” Agee said. “I hope the freshmen saw something that met their current interests, something new they really want to try and something that made them really excited to start eighth period.”