Students relieve stress during eighth period

During eighth period on June 5, 28 students gathered outside of the trailers to participate in “Make your Own Stress Ball,” an anti-stress activity coordinated by sophomore Mary Pollin and sponsored by World History/Geography II teacher Anna Brown.

“With the end of the year just days away, I wanted to take an early break from the pressures of school and just come here to have some fun,” junior Nikhil Bhattasali said.

Pollin is part of the Jefferson One Question course taught by History teacher Scott Campbell, and designed the eighth period to fulfill the requirements of her final project.

“I know that I feel a lot of stress in school so I wanted to focus on that aspect of the One Question to help other people,” Pollin said.

During the eighth period activity, students not only used materials such as balloons and flour to make stress balls, but Pollin also showed a brief presentation she had put together that described some other ways of winding down while staying productive, including short “power naps” and exercise.

“An eighth period is an easy way to reach out to people. It provides a stress-free atmosphere that’s not just a lecture but also a chance to hang out with friends,” Pollin said.