Friday night vibes: “Who Do You Love”

The cover image for

Image courtesy of Spotify

The cover image for "Who Do You Love" by The Chainsmokers and 5 Seconds of Summer. The song was released on Feb. 8, but was teased earlier on Instagram.

Pratika Katiyar, Team Leader

When you add a new song to your playlist, you take a gamble. Either you love it, or it gets deleted off your playlist. I’ve been in this situation repeatedly, and today was especially difficult for me.

“Who Do You Love” scared me at first, because The Chainsmokers and 5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) are two of my favorite artists, so what if this iconic collaboration turned out to be a flop?

Well, news flash, I was wrong.

The Chainsmokers and 5SOS could not have been a better pair. I fell in love with the song faster than however long it took you to read this sentence. The beginning with Luke Hemmings and Ashton Irwin’s melodious voices makes for a normal, mellow pop song about a misunderstanding in a relationship.

And then the drop comes.

The instrumental music portion right after the chorus combines perfectly with the climatic pre-chorus. The lyrics are like vinegar, but the beat is like honey. The Chainsmokers did an excellent job of making this song stand out from their normal songs. For a while, I even stopped listening to them because I felt that all of their drops had the same beats, and it got repetitive. However, this song restored my faith in them, and they’ve won my heart along with 5SOS.

After the iconic chorus, the song proceeds to another verse with the same beautiful instrumentals following. Calum Hood’s voice stands out in the pre-chorus amongst the rest of the band as it’s even brighter than I remembered. Throughout the song, the band members take turns singing, and each part they sing fits their aura so well. It takes me back to their sophomore album, “Sounds Good Feels Good”, where each of their songs resembled this one. Nevertheless, “Who Do You Love” is the best out of all their previous songs, and is truly a polished version of the band.

So, who do I love? The Chainsmokers and 5 Seconds of Summer. And what do I love? This song.

Listen to “Who Do You Love” and the rest of my Friday night vibes playlist below: