This Year’s Fresh, New Homecoming: Before and After

A closer look at freshmen perspectives on homecoming

Freshmen perform their MEX with enthusiasm. Photo courtesy of Shreya Kurdukar.

Michelle Lin and Alice Ji

Thursday, October 4th, 12:00 PM, the first few shouts can be heard echoing down the empty hallways. Just moments later, the sound of rushing feet and laughter fill the air as Jefferson students all head towards the same direction. Approaching the entrance of the gym, the sound of drumming and blaring music can barely be heard over the loud, excited voices. Draping flags twirl and soar above people dressed in full- out gowns. The freshmen slowly and hesitantly file into the bleachers. The overwhelming pressure from the chanting surrounding freshmen bleachers only increases. Not knowing what to do, the freshmen stay silent as the first homecoming pep rally begins, amazed by all the cheering around them.

Homecoming, one of the biggest events of the year for Jefferson, has been over for nearly a week. Yet for freshmen, it has become one of the first and most memorable experiences of Jefferson.

Before the pep rallies began, not all freshmen were looking forward to, but those leading the charge were more hopeful about their chances in the rankings.

As freshmen, we definitely go into hoco with the expectation of us getting last due to lack of experience and other factors,” Froshcomm member Caroline Chen said. “But this year what we have planned is phenomenal and I’m hoping that we can come through with an upset.”

However, a survey of freshmen who weren’t part of Froshcomm felt differently.

“We’re almost certainly going to lose, if that’s what you’re asking.” Freshman Jennifer Hunsinger said.

Her sentiment was echoed by many other freshmen. It seemed that not everyone was feeling very positive about winning, but that didn’t mean the freshmen weren’t interested in the actual events themselves.

When asked about which events they were most excited for, the top event was MEX, which was surprising, as MEX wasn’t without its troubles for the class of 2022.

“Many people don’t come to MEX rehearsal or they ask questions that were already answered in Facebook posts, emails, etc.” MEX coordinator Melissa Wu said.

Regardless, Homecoming week went by in a flash. By the time it finished, it seemed that the freshmen had vastly different views on it.

Though the freshmen ended up in last place, as per tradition, this year and many weren’t happy with the results, it still seemed that their views on Homecoming itself were more positive after they had experienced the festivities for themselves.

“I didn’t think Homecoming was special, really, but now I know that it’s six days of loud spirit and spirited competition with amazing results: thousands donated to charity, beautiful banners, (somewhat) melodic songs, funny videos, incredible dances, and more,.” Freshman Rachel Lewis said.

Many freshmen had also decided that Homecoming was much more fun than they thought, and some wished they had participated more.

Meanwhile, Froshcomm members stated that if they could coordinate Homecoming again next year, they’d definitely do it again.

“My opinion has changed drastically since I originally thought Hoco was just a petty event but now [I believe] the complete opposite,” Freshmen Edward Lee said.

Friday, October 12th, onlookers cheer on the MEX performers during their routine. The freshmen know they won’t win Homecoming this year, but they refuse to back down, cheering and yelling. No longer are they hesitantly looking around at the other classes. Yes, they’ve lost–but that doesn’t mean they can’t show spirit. They did their best this year, and they know that they’ll only get better next year.