Fall Sports Review: Field Hockey

Field hockey’s victorious season comes to a close

Jefferson’s field hockey team after their Capitol Conference championship game victory.

Stav Nachum, Sports Editor

After a season of tremendous victories with an overall record of 11 wins to seven losses, Jefferson’s field hockey team can leave the field knowing that they gave this season everything they had. Not only did the team secure an incredible Capitol Conference championship victory against Thomas Edison High School, but they also advanced all the way to the regionals semifinals, farther than a field hockey team has gone in the past few years at Jefferson.

The change from the Liberty District to the Capitol Conference may have had a small part in the success of the team this season, though the team itself strongly believes that this year’s team was successful mostly because of their skill and determination to win.

“Although the new conferences were easier, the competition was much fairer,” senior Clara Pitts said. “However, our team was also really good this year. We would not have gotten as far as we did with any other team and last year’s team certainly would not have won the conference championship.”

This year, the team improved not only offensively but also defensively. According to senior and captain Ellen Mulé, senior Izzy Roscoe was incredible this season in her role as playmaker and scorer and seniors Priya Seetharaman and Lizzy Woods and sophomore Maaike Blindenbach kept the team so close in games as a result of their incredible defensive skills. Mulé also believes that a lot of improvement definitely came from the amount of effort that the team put in over the offseason at green days, summer league games, and camp as well as with the players’ club teams.

Though many seniors will be leaving, the new team has a promising foundation from the juniors and sophomores currently on the varsity and junior varsity teams.

“I think next year will be challenging because the team is losing their leading goal scorers as well as their goalie,” Mulé said. “I think the team will succeed again, though, because I know that all of the girls are ready to put in the work over the offseason to keep themselves at the top of the conference.”