DC Comics gets back on track

Photo courtesy of dccomics.com

Shruti Ray, Online Staff

Step aside, Marvel; DC Comics is back in business. With Marvel Studios churning out blockbuster after blockbuster, DC Comics has often been criticized for not actively producing movies since Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight” Trilogy. However, things are about to change.

“I love DC Comics and I prefer it over Marvel, which is why I am glad that more DC Comic movies are finally coming out,” said junior Jane Choi.

DC Comics rebooted their cinematic universe with “Man of Steel,” which was released last year. The saga will continue with “Batman V. Superman,” scheduled for release on March 25, 2016. Though not much is known about the plot, the teaser trailer will be released on Christmas 2014. The movie will feature Henry Cavill returning to play the iconic Superman, along with Ben Affleck and Gal Gabot as Batman and Wonder Woman, respectively. Wonder Woman is also getting her own solo movie in 2017, the female-led superhero movie that has yet to be seen from Marvel Studios.

“I’m really glad that a Wonder Woman movie is coming out because Wonder Woman was always my favorite character but I felt like she was always shadowed by the men in superhero movies,” said junior Kavya Ravikanti.

Of course, no superhero universe is complete without a team-up, which brings all the major superheroes together to fight a common villain. An example of this is Marvel’s “The Avengers”, which was released in 2013. DC Comics’s equivalent is the Justice League, bringing together the likes of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Cyborg and many other heroes of the DC Comics universe. A Justice League movie is being split into two parts, each due for release in 2017 and 2019.

With movies scheduled until 2020, students at Jefferson believe that DC Comics is proving a formidable opponent for Marvel, but they don’t understand the conflict and think that Marvel and DC should coexist.

“Why the rivalry? The Bible said Adam and Eve, not Marvel and DC,” sophomore Hana Cho said.