THinK begins new writing workshop

Photo courtesy of www.youthwriter.com. Former instructors of THinK pose for the club’s donations to AiXin Foundation. More information about the club and the writing workshop can be found on the club’s website.

Esther Kim, Opinion Editor

Teens Helping Kids (THinK), a club founded and run by Jefferson students, opened the registration process for the upcoming creative writing workshop, a series of writing lessons that will span for two months.

The workshop, which is aimed at fourth to eighth grade students, offers basic grammar and narrative writing skills through online classes. The students will be responsible for completing four assignments during the workshop, in which they will write a piece for this year’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) Reflections theme, “The world would be a better place if…”

“The most fulfilling part of being involved in THinK is watching the students grow as writers, not just in their ability, but also in their enthusiasm and attitude towards writing,” junior Samuel Hsiang, one of the instructors of this year’s THinK workshop, said. “It struck me how excited every student was for each class.”

The instructors of THinK will not only teach students on rudimentary figures of speech, such as metaphors, but also on the methods of crafting stories through specific stages. In addition, the students will familiarize themselves with useful similes and proverbs that can be added into their writings.

“We teach students staples like similes and parallel structure and more advanced techniques like subtle symbolism and varied sentence structure,” Hsiang said.

The tuition for the THinK writing workshop will be donated to AiXin Foundation, an organization that provides aid to impoverished areas in China. The workshop will begin on Sept. 6, and will occur every Saturday until Nov. 1. The registration for THinK will end on Aug. 23.

The instructors for this year’s workshop hope to contribute their experience and education in creative writing will provide deeper insights in writing to younger students.

“What makes writing interesting for me is the way the writer can cleverly manipulate words and change the way the audience reads,” Hsiang said. “There’s more to literature than just the meaning of the words.”