Common Application opens for seniors

Lindsay Williams, Online Editor in Chief

While the month of July was about vacation, jobs and internships for many seniors, the wait is finally over as the overarching theme of senior year comes into focus. The ultimate step in college applications has finally arrived: the Common Application is open.

The Common Application, informally known as “Common App,” is a database for college applications used by the majority of colleges to which Jefferson students apply. It allows students to enter their information common to all of the schools they wish to apply to and is a platform on which the essays are visible and can be entered. It is also usable by teachers and counselors for their recommendations.

Some Jefferson seniors have already started with the basic information that needed to be added. The sheer amount of information that needs to be entered is staggering, and waiting until the last minute could be a dangerous game.

“It’s important to start early so that you can present the most polished responses and essays possible,” senior Julia Casazza said. “As TJ students, we are very lucky that we have such depth in terms of our college search.”

However, the vast commitments of some Jefferson seniors to their summer work makes waiting a little bit a much more viable option.

“This summer is really busy for me, I have my internship, and I’ve been taking two online classes so I can take orchestra my senior year,” senior Luka Jelenak said. “I just don’t have the time. I have no time to do my summer assignments either.”