Jefferson Crew enjoys success at the Regional Park regatta

Crew practices on the water despite cold temperatures. Photo courtesy of Zoe Wang

Anjali Khanna, Entertainment Editor

After original success at the Polar Bear regatta, Jefferson crew continued the trend at Sandy Run Regional Park on March 29 for the annual Regional Park regatta held by the Virginia Scholastic Rowing Association (VASRA).

The Jefferson first men’s eight placed first in race 49, with a time of five minutes, 43.40 seconds, and the second men’s eight boat placed first in race 47, scoring a time of five minutes 18.20 seconds. As for the women’s teams, the third women’s eight boat placed first in race 40, with a time of six minutes and 7.80 seconds.

In addition to the many first place titles achieved at the Regional Park regatta, Jefferson crew also placed second with their first women’s eight with a time of five minutes and 45.21 seconds, as well as with the second women’s eight, scoring five minutes and 57.99 seconds. The men’s team placed second with their men’s junior eight, scoring 5 minutes and 12.99 seconds. The third men’s eight boat placed second with a time of 5 minutes 50.24 seconds.

“My favorite part of the Regional Park regatta was the feeling of getting really ahead at the beginning of the race,” junior Azman Singh Garcha, a rower for the men’s third eight, said. “I didn’t like the how cold and wet it was, but rowing kept us all warm.”

After the regatta, the Jefferson team plans to get back on the water for practice on March 31, and prepare for the Walter Mess regatta on April 5.

“I want to work before the next regatta with my boat so we can get better as individuals as well as a whole,” freshman Ari Reddy, a rower for the men’s fourth eight, said. “My favorite part of the Regional Park regatta was the excitement and adrenaline of racing.”